Howard edges Perry in overtime

Howard ran in a two-point conversion in overtime to edge out Perry 29-27 Thursday in Macon.

Perry got the ball first in the extra period and scored on Tyrell Owens’ 20-yard run – overcoming a five-yard penalty previous and a bad snap on that play. The point after, however, was no good.

The Huskies then took their turn at the 15 and after also getting a five-yard penalty, got it to the 4. Quarterback Quintan Sewell ran it in from there. They then went for the two-point conversion and made it when Sewell fought his way in.

Howard jumped on board immediately to start the game when Jeremiah Kelly took the opening kickoff and raised 90 yards. Cameron Johnson blocked the point after, to make it 6-0 just seconds in.

Perry answered that – only eating up a lot more clock; about four minutes – with a nine play, 65-yard drive to tie it, then go ahead following Tyler Knowles’ point after. The touchdown came on a three-yard pass from Lane Rucker to Davion Ross on fourth down. (Rucker later went down – as did Christian Stewart – with what appeared to be some sort of knee/leg injury to put Jay Watkins at quarterback.)

Howard punted three times following – going three-and-out on two of those. The Panthers punted twice. That took the game into the second quarter by little more than three minutes. The last of those punts for the Huskies also came from the endzone. It was fielded by Watkins around Howard’s 30. He took it from there to the endzone. Knowles made the point after to make it 14-6.

Both then turned it over on a fumble – first Howard, then Perry.

The Huskies recovered the Panthers’ around the 50. They ran four plays. The last of those put it on the one where Sewell took it in. He also got the call on the two-point conversion and tied it. That came with just over a minute left in the half. Perry ran a few plays following before finally taking a knee to bring on the horn.

Both put a score on the board to start the third and then went back to grinding it out.

Perry’s came on a 65-yard run by Ross on the third play from scrimmage. Howard’s came on a 26-yard run by Sewell – the second play from scrimmage; the drive aided by a good kickoff return and a facemask penalty.

Both PATs made it 21-all with just over nine minutes left to play in the third.

Knowles missed a 32-yard field goal following. That would have capped off a successful eight-play drive that started on Perry’s own 40.

A punt by each followed before the Huskies, on the seventh play of a drive that started on their own 30, got it down to the 2. Credit Jermaine Lee for a touchdown-saving tackle on the play. That turned out to be plenty significant seeing as Howard fumbled on the next play. Perry recovered it and ran eight plays. Finally, on a fourth-and-six, Knowles was brought in to try a 49-yarder with 16 seconds left. His kick was wide.

Howard took over and after a run of five and a flag on the second play sending it back the opposite direction, took a knee. That sent it into the extra period and its eventual win.

The game was the second in Region 2-AAAA for the Huskies. They improved to 1-1, 5-2 overall. Perry fell to 0-1, 4-2.